Privilege Awakening Working Groups - September Cohort
Time & Location
About the Event
We're at the beginning of an equity revolution, hundreds of years in the making. As momentum behind racial equity and inclusion efforts grow, people the world over are waking up to their inherent white privilege and the system of white supremacy designed to give and remove access, opportunity and support based on a person's skin color.
This awakening has left many people blindsided and wondering where to begin. Just A Girl has developed a proprietary framework for navigating this process, called Privilege Awakening. It defines five stages of emotional responses to privilege and fosters action to move toward becoming a functional ally. Think of it like the stages of grief, but for white privilege.
Working Groups are small, curated groups of people that work together to learn and support each other's Privilege Awakening journey. Working Groups are all about creating a nuturing structure to work within, giving each member and group the ability to learn throug a structured process of collaborative learning and support. This process is both nuturing and self-directed, fostering autonomous, supported learning. Here's how it works:
- We break down the membership base into small groups of 4-8 people.
- Each small group sets its own vision and goals for how to best work through their Privilege Awakening process.
- Groups meet weekly to make progress on their goals, creating a safe place for discussion and learning.
- Just A Girl leadership provides coaching to each group on a monthly basis to address questions, offer support and guide the groups on how to best move forward.
- Just A Girl coordinates a monthly speaker series exclusively for members, featuring experts from different industries, experiences and backgrounds. The goal is to help members gain a wide variety of insights and perspectives from people across the privilege, identity and experience spectrums.
- Members also have access to the Just A Girl Resource Repository to support their personal learning and growth.
This is a six-week series of live, virtual classes held Wednesdays from 4-5:30pm CST starting on September 9th and ending on October 14th. The first week is an introduction to the course, with each following week dedicated to one of the five Privilege Awakening stages. In each class, participants will learn how to navigate the emotions in this stage, develop healthy coping strategies and identify what's needed in order to move forward in their journey to becoming a functional ally. These are progressive stages. However, it's normal to bounce around or flow between different stages at one time.
Each class lasts 90 minutes and takes place via video conferencing. We will send participants a calendar invite with video conferencing link for all of the classes. In order to ensure a safe, brave space for constructive conversation, we do not record classes. To help foster your journey as an ally, you will receive a hard copy of the Privilege Awakening Comprehensive Workbook, which includes all of the materials used throughout the class.
Everyone is welcome to participate and class size is capped at 25 people. We use Blue Jeans for our video conferencing, which offers live closed captioning for all classes, if needed. We expect participants to attend all six classes and come prepared to have constructive dialog.
We offer our classes to the general public at reasonable, accessible prices. We also offer scholarships (partial and full) for a handful of participants in every class. If you'd like to apply to receive a scholarship, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you'd like to "pay it forward" by contributing to our scholarship fund, you will find that option under Tickets.
Just A Girl's goal is to foster Inclusive Mental Health. From a place of emotional well-being, each of us can learn how to become a functional ally and dismantle systems of oppression in our everyday lives. To learn more, visit justagirl.co.
- Privilege Awakening Class$200+$11 Tax$200+$11 Tax0$0
- Pay It Forward Scholarship$25+$1.38 Tax$25+$1.38 Tax0$0